Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: High Fidelity Report: Reviewer Accommodations Compromise Credibilty

Assuming the premise is accepted that discounts range from 40-60% of cost the reviewer will still choose product X he likes the best.

So if you have three loudspeakers at $10,000 and all have a 50% discount the reviewer is still going to choose his favorite speaker. Since he could have all three for $5k or whether he was the consumer that has to pay $10k makes no difference because he would choose X over Y and Z whether he was paying $5k or $10k. So I am not convinced by that argument in itself.

Where it could apply is if speaker maker X at $10k is giving it at dealer cost say $4k and speaker maker Y is giving the reviewer an $80,000 speaker for $100 or $1 or whatever. That is a serious breach of ethics both from the reviewer and the manufacturer. Such manufacturers are desperate for sales which likely means the product is an egregious pile of crap.

Further, the review items once reviewed are second hand products. Most of which can be found on the second hand market for ~50% of the MSRP (and no one pays MSRP). So chances are you can go buy Unit XYZ on the second hand market for pretty much the same cash the reviewer is likely paying anyway. The dollars at least will be in the ballpark enough not to worry much about. I could get a few pieces at discounts but saw them cheaper at the second hand store here. Used is used.

Further the magazine can claim that policy but how do you know they will honor it?

Advertising also has no influence on reviewers. I can't speak for other outfits but I review what I want to review. I have no idea who advertises with Dagogo nor do I care.

Some of the more highly touted stuff on Dagogo isn't advertised that I can see and JA I believe has illustrated time and again that something like half the gear recommended in their magazine isn't advertised.

Maybe the magazine is trying for a new shtick to imply everyone else is a crook but them.

Lastly, good customers of dealers also get excellent discounts on gear - they value good word of mouth on internet forums etc.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: High Fidelity Report: Reviewer Accommodations Compromise Credibilty - RGA 04:45:52 05/01/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.