Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: I find it interesting

It depends on the DBT. The standard triangle test (used to show how wine-tasters are unable to spot the difference between a good Saint-Émilion and a cheap bottle of 'plonk') fell out of favour with sensory scientists in the 1950s, when more reliable discrimination tests began to be used. These triangle tests sound 'sciency' enough to be convincing however, although when you start to follow the money to find out who's backing these tests, it ends up being the large manufacturers of cheap plonk.

Large, paired-comparison and duo-trio DBTs are judged to deliver better discrimination, but are not commonly run because the size of sample required and the costs that entails preclude their use, unless the test is backed by a large manufacturer of cheap wine. Strangely, the large manufacturers of cheap wine aren't that interested.

Generally, such tests conclude we are more capable of being able to discern a wider palette than these hobbled DBTs suggest, that our palette can be cultivated with experience and training, and that although there isn't a direct correlation between the cost of a bottle of wine and its quality, the "it's all nonsense" line is mostly nonsense.

Of course, when more reliable tests are published in journals of sensory science and oenology, they are routinely dismissed as self-serving in the public domain by shills for the larger wine producers, disseminating the information to 'useful idiots' in the process.

That might have changed in the ten or so years since I learned that snippet of information, but it's amazing what you can learn as a freelance production editor.
-

Editor, Hi-Fi Plus magazine, Lun-duhnn, Ingerland, innit

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.