Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

A Question of Balance...

Hi Jim:

"there's an objective element to assessing the quality of a wine"

I'd be curious to learn what objective reference the author has in mind. Consider a wine's balance: A wine is said to have good balance when the concentration of sweetness/dryness, fruit, level of tannin and acidity are in harmony.

But there is no universal agreement for the constitution of a balanced wine: not among wine lovers, not among experts, not among wine consumers, and certainly the divide between experts and consumers can by enormous.

Some folks prefer wines that are very fruit-forward while others are dismissive of such wines, referring to them as “fruit bombs.” Many wine drinkers prefer cool climate wines because they are more astringent and acidic while other wine enthusiasts are put off by that style. Acidity in wines can vary a great deal and what is considered “right” for some drinkers will taste sour to others.

Of course there’s nothing inherently wrong with having an opinion as to what constitutes a “balanced” wine, but I know of no “better” or “best” objective gauge.

Master taster Tim Hanni offers another definition of balance: “Balance is the subjective interrelationship between sweetnes/dryness, acidity, alcohol, tannins and intensity that provides the overall flavor profile of a wine. Good balance is determined by personal preference and expectations.”

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.