Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: I find it interesting

Yes but put ten engineers (with degrees) in a room and you get ten different loudspeaker designs - one will make a horn that stands 10 feet high, another will give you an electrostatic panel, Another will give you a single driver, others will give you various boxes, another will give you an omni-directional, others will have all sorts of other variations - transmission lines, line arrays, open baffle and then others will give you something like Perfect 8 Technologies which is a blend of a bunch of them.

Each engineer will tell you that their approach is the best approach and will give you enough technobabble to make it seemingly true. And if it sounds great you may opt to agree and if it sounds dreadful then you won't. Except that another reviewer who is just as experienced as you will buy the speaker you think is dreadful and will find your choice dreadful.

I said a while back that it's somewhat important for beginning audiophiles to audition the better examples of the various camps of speakers and amplifiers (and sources where possible). People hate horns because they heard $500 Klipsch models in big box chains - the better examples are far more difficult to audition as dealers don't want to take up the floor space - and WAF means the speakers need to be cutesy small things or have sleek shapes (which may not be best suited for actual sound reproduction).

Once they identify what they like better - a Quad, or a Western Electric horn, or a Single driver (Teresonic) or Wilson and the corresponding amp - big watt solid state, low watt SET, push pull tube, class B Naim, class T, SIT amps, etc (feedback/no feedback) then basically they have chosen whether they prefer white wine, red wine and which type of wine within the group etc Reviewers who are in line with those preferences will be useful to the particular reader.

This is why Art Dudley, Bob Neill, Steven Rochlin, and Jack Roberts are "generally" more useful to me because I think they have quality ears. It doesn't mean I agree with them 100% but in general what they like I will like. They may have a list of 5 speakers where I like their 4th choice better than their 1st choice but chances are if we came up with a top 10 speakers list (of the ones we've all heard) 8 of them would be on both lists. Whereas if I did the same with Fremer or Jason Victor Serinus or John Valin, I doubt there would be a single speaker that we would have in common that would make both lists.

I do think reviewers are useful though - you get help from an experienced win drinker if you are getting into wines - if you don't like wine and you like scotch ask the scotch reviewer not the wine reviewer.

Edits: 04/14/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.