Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Kalman Rubinson/Music in the Round

While I can't answer some of your specific questions ( e.g. "what percentage of audiophiles are into multichannel" ) perhaps I can enlighten you by offering my perspective.

I find Music in the Round to be the most valuable column in Stereophile.
It's the first thing I read when the magazine arrives.

I have, I believe, a very respectable analog front end, and nonetheless, overall, I prefer the sound of multichannel SACD to analog, though both provide musical pleasure.

I frequently see Kal's posts on this and several website forums, and I find his posts to be uniformly helpful, knowledgable, and courteous. He is generous in posting replies to queries that range from the most basic to the very obscure. I have never found his posts to be rude or harsh. His knowledge of classical music is formidable, and I have never been disappointed by his sacd recommendations. His SACD reviews have broadened my musical horizons.

You wrote that 'reviews of mid tier products....seem to populate his columns more often than not'. An interesting observation given that by your own admission, you never read his column before.

However, I do agree that there is a lack of high end multichannel product reviews. That's not Kal's fault, though. That's the fault of the industry.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Kalman Rubinson/Music in the Round - Alan A 22:14:44 04/11/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.