Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: so what are your favorite websites?

I think the problem is that many reviewers are older and quite experienced audiophiles. As a reviewer we tend to spend 6-10 or more weeks with a product. For many reviewers it is not their daily bread winner. So if a reviewer is going to commit a lot of time to a product it has to be something they want to listen to - which often means it has to as good or better than what they currently own. Most reviewers seem to me to be above 50 years of age which means they probably own quite higher level gear.

The US and online mags typically have the above type reviewers. Though each does review affordable gear. Depends what you mean by affordable. I would suspect that most audiophiles are spending between $5k-$25k on their stereos. As a guess I am basing the minimum as Source player (maybe two or three - turntable, CD player, Computer Audio DAC, Loudspeakers (possibly stands), an integrated amplifier. $1500 speakers and $1500 amp and $500 each for the three sources. Factor in $500 for cables, an audio rack, etc.

I think the better publications for the more regular priced "referred to often as entry level hi end (fairly or not)" comes from magazines like What Hi-fi and Hi Fi Choice.

Here is an example where you can see that the vast majority of what they review in speakers is between £300 to £1000

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: so what are your favorite websites? - RGA 23:19:22 03/18/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.