Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Rather sad to see/hear. See inside as to why Stereophile might want to listen.

I started reading Stereophile back in the early to mid 1980s.

At that time, I would usually go to a bookstore (likely Kroch's and Brentano's) in a mall not too far distant from me. Simple fact, the magazine was not sold at any of the news stands or magazine vendors in my small town.

I'd often look through Stereophile and The Absolute Sound.

Frankly? I much more appreciated the writing and artistry of TAS - but they were always more expensive. If Stereophile had more reviews of equipment I was interested in, I would purchase Stereophile. Sometimes, I was feeling flush (as a kid) and I would pay the $5 or whatever for an issue of TAS, and maybe get the Stereophile too!

At some point in the late 1980's, I actually subscribed to Stereophile. Would still pick up TAS sometimes on news stands, but I was hooked on Stereophile. I'd browse both, and by then I also could look at HiFi News and Record Review.

Spent '88 through '94 serving on submarines in the USN - great time, and continued my Stereophile subscription that whole time. Sometimes I'd blunder into an issue of TAS - still liked much of their writing and focus better.

Will say that 2 HUGE downfalls for me with respect to Stereophile were the writings of Corey Greenberg, and the change of format from the easily archived book(let) format to the current full sized magazine.

Kept my S-Phile subscription up to date until just a few years back.

Must say, I don't bother to look at TAS much, as it isn't anything like it once was. Can also say, Stereophile really doesn't have a whole lot that interests me (from a writing standpoint) these days either.

Sure had an awesome time at Stereophile's "HiFi 99" in Chicago, but that was a LONG while back - many manufacturers who intrigued me at that time have come and gone. Quite a few other manufacturers who still survive just don't offer anything that gets me excited to explore current offerings. As to magazine writing? Well, that's why I started this thread.

I only replied/continued it for the reason that I'd hope those at or near the helm of Stereophile might take it into consideration as to why people who otherwise have 30+ years of interest in the hobby and your magazine in particular are suddenly shrugging you off.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.