Critic's Corner

Show me the data. You can not do this. You are blowing smoke.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Critic's Corner ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

Show me the data. You can not do this. You are blowing smoke.

Show me a single sample on the disk that is larger than +32765 or smaller than -32768. You can't. Such numbers do not correspond to any possible pattern of pits on the disk. What you describe is no more possible than a five digit odometer on an automobile showing a milage larger than 99,999. There is no magic here whatsoever. Every single bit on the disk can be identified and quantified using a microscope. It isn't even necessary to use a computer to demonstrate this point, but one will need to be a consummate "squint" to examine more than a tiny part of the disk. A competent engineer armed with a microscope and a copy of the Red book specification can do this. I doubt that you have ever read the red book specification or looked at an actual CD under a microscope.

I can take a 1 kHz sine wave in 44/16 format (dithered) and the spectrum shows a single peak, with noise at -128 dB. There are no harmonics. I can resample this to 176.4/16 and look at the spectra. Again no harmonics and the noise is at roughly the same level. If I play this test tone through my speakers there is no distortion at any volume level that I can stand. My system is not broken.

I don't know where you get these DACs that are "the best". If they can't play a simple test tone without distortion they are audiophool equipment.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

Follow Ups: