Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Copyright-territory

As I understand it, most original content is owned by the creators, e.g. an author or photographer. Unless their work was a "work for hire" this would not be the magazine. The creator sells rights to his content by a contract which gives the magazine a license to use the content in certain ways. Often, these contracts will include sales and distribution in a limited region of the world. In addition to copyright concerns, there may also be trademark issues, since the same physical symbol may be owned by different legal entities in different countries.

I had some business dealings with a Canadian purveyor of books some years ago. Because Canada was part of the Commonwealth they gained access to new books published in Britain before these became available in the United States and they were able to charge a premium for these books because of this. It struck me as a bit of a scam at the time, but then all copyrights and patents can be considered a scam if one is so inclined.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Copyright-territory - Tony Lauck 07:40:41 08/19/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.