Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Why not make bjh's day by announcing...

Though your post of a few weeks ago was sent to WW, I thought you had a piece of a point. Like it or not, age has a debilitating effect on *everyone's* abilities, and audio editors/reviewers are no exception to the rule. Some reviewers may be vain enough or delusional enough to debate this point, but that says more about their own insecurities, vested interests, and fragile egos than anything else.

No doubt the usual self-serving crowd will bring forth the same tired, knee-jerk reaction to this discussion: "But experience can compensate for diminished hearing!" Swell. They too have a piece of a point, I guess. But just as every profession manifests a certain age-range in which the adherents of said profession are said to be "in their prime," there's no reason to think that this doesn't hold true for audio reviewers as well.

Einstein did his best work in his 20s. Most athletes are at their best in their 20s and 30s. Tolstoy published War and Peace when he was 41. And I suspect audio reviewers are at their best long before they are eligible for Social Security. Of course it varies from reviewer to reviewer, but generally speaking, I suspect a reviewer's powers of discernment, assuming he's been reviewing since his early 20s, are at their zenith between the ages of 40-50. (An age at which one is old enough to have acquired plenty of experience, yet young enough to have avoided the natural infirmities of age.)

Yes, I'm aware that one need not expend much effort before discovering examples in which people did some of their best work late in life. But again, I'm speaking in *general* terms. This is not to say that Sam, JA and HP are no longer splendid reviewers. (They are.) But it does suggest that they are no longer at the top of their game -- no one is at his *best* for very long -- and I think that's the point that you were making.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Why not make bjh's day by announcing... - regmac 12:24:32 08/05/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.