Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: What is a magazine?

Yes, Art is writing about fond memories, but he is also writing about a special magic that these speakers have that "modern" speakers lack: "Yet when it comes to loudspeakers, there are precious few modern examples that approximate the characteristic strengths of vintage counterparts--and none that meet or exceed them". In some of our minds, almost all of "modern" "high end" audio represents a decline in true fidelity. Certainly, for many of us, digital and ss sound fall far short of analogue and tubes. They simply sound less like the real thing (live acoustic music). And even when it comes to tube amps, the older, purer, SET amps sounded more like TAS than more modern tube units. Go to the 2012 CAS and compare the SET amp driven systems to the more modern ones. I suspect that you will appreciate the magic that these systems provide. You might well decide, as I did after attending the 2010 and 2011 CASs, that the combination of an efficient, easy-to-drive speaker with an SET amp is UNMATCHED by ANY modern combination, including those that cost upwards of $400,000!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.