Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Non-blind wine reviews?

Yes, all the ones I read rate wines blind. It was not always the case, but post-Parker, all seem to have adopted the blind tasting concept. I recall that The New York Times once had a group of wine "experts" rate French red burgundies, California Pinot Noir wines, and Pinot Noir wines from Oregon. Rated sighted, these experts rated the French wines first, followed by those from Oregon, and the California wines in last. When these expects rated the exact same wines blind, Californian wines came in first, followed by Oregon, with the expensive, famous French red burgundies far behind. It's easy to claim that rating wines, or audio components, sighted makes no difference. I've been to two blind listening tests where 90% + of the audiophiles thought MP3 digital was superior to high res digital. My wife and I thought that the high res audio was VASTLY better than MP3. Sam Tellig mentions in this instructive article, that once a French psychologist put food dye in white wine, and "savvy" drinkers couldn't tell white from red!!! I've seen owners of horribly expensive ss amps, admit under blind conditions, that they couldn't tell the difference between their amp and one costing 1/10th the price.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Non-blind wine reviews? - the old school 18:31:19 07/17/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.