Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Another great column by Sam Tellig

No, I don't always agree with Sam (or anyone else, for that matter). However, many of Sam's essays are quite good. His August "Sam's Space" is one of my favorites. First, he explains Adam Gopnik's view on wine and wine critics. Clearly Sam agrees with me that there is a similarity between audio reviewers and wine reviewers. In wine, especially in the view of Robert Parker and The Wine Spectator, darker, more concentrated, higher alcoholic wines are better than wines that are more subtle and reveal more of their terroir. Sam thinks, quite correctly IMO, that we have the equal of high alcoholic, fruit bombs in "high end" audio. Audio systems that play louder and measure better, are often highly praised as are the wine fruit bombs. It has long been my view that famous, expensive wines are rated more highly when not reviewed blind. And, yes, it has also been my view that famous, expensive audio components are overrated when judged sighted. The Unison Research, low power amp that Sam reviews has my interest. No, it's not really an SET amp. Yes, it DOES have some negative feedback, as my Audio Research D70 amp does. But Sam claims that, within the limits of its power, the Simple Italy amp nailed truth of timbre AND produced tight bass with his Triangle Comete Anniversaire speakers. BTW, the Anniversaire speakers, driven by Audio Research's $4,000 integrated amp, produced some of the best sound I have ever heard. Yes, there were limitations, but there was a purity of sound that was extremely impressive.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Another great column by Sam Tellig - the old school 23:06:05 07/13/12 (45)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.