Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Faith got's nothing to do with it!

I would suggest that it was NOT really a matter of faith that something better than mass-produced junk exists. For me, it was when I heard a friend's system based on tubes an an Altec speaker. Record after record brought me to tears! A similar thing occurred when I tasted a great wine for the first time (it was a 1974 Phelps, by the way). I don't believe it for a second that it is faith that separates you from your non-audiophile friends. There are thousands of very good reasons why you know that some audio components are better than others. Your question: "Is it foolish to spend $10,000 on an amplifier, or to stay up until 2 am adjusting speaker toe-in, or to waste a day comparing three different brands of the same vacuum tube, or to own five different pressings of the same record?" is correctly answered NOT by your "answer", "Of course it is." I would submit that you love doing those things precisely because they result in a better audio system, one that better communicates the emotion and beauty that often exists in those vinyl grooves. It's not the love of ritual, it's the love of better RESULTS that is decisive.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.