Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

IMO, a pan is more valuable than a rave to a potential buyer.

Serious audible problems can include noise, grain or harshness, uneven perceived frequency response, and poor soundstaging. Operational problems can include poor reliability or component failures, unusual tube drift or repeated tube failures, inconsistent or unexpected glitches, and turn-on or turn-off surges that can trip circuit breakers or damage speakers.

In most cases, these are NOT system dependent. You need to know about these before making a purchase because of the high probability that you will also have the same problem.

You also need to know about issues that are system dependent and that might or might not be a problem in your system. A good review, of which a few of mine might qualify, will evaluate a component with enough different gear that you can tell if the problem is a serious problem or potential system compatibility issue.

No component is perfect. Reviews that do not tell you about known problems are little more than advertising and have almost no value for the consumer. My reviews are written with the potential buyer in mind and his needs for relevant information.

A overwhelmingly positive review might help you buy a component, but the issues raised in a negative review could save you a lot of wasted time and money in either the original purchase or in tweaking your system to adapt to the the problem, or confirm those problems that you are already having.

Happy listening.

Regards,
Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • IMO, a pan is more valuable than a rave to a potential buyer. - JerryS 09:20:50 06/29/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.