Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Critics being critical: 10 Audio pans the Krell S-275

This, and the other thread "What Would Reviewers Own", are partly why I haven't read hi-fi audio mags in ages. Who needs 'em? I think that most folks read them just for fun and fantasy, not because they actually intend to buy a particular product, and I think the publishers know that.

I do read pro audio mags regularly, just to keep up on what's new and what I might want to incorporate into my recording or production system. But reviews of speakers and amps bore the snot out of me. If I want to know what something sounds like, I go listen to it. I don't need someone to tell me how they think it sounds.

As a commentary on JA's post about a professional conductor not being a good candidate as a reviewer, I'll say that a reviewer that isn't an accomplished musician with an intimate knowledge of the sounds of instruments isn't a candidate to be a good reviewer.

Edit: JA, thanks for your excellent contributions to this forum. It would be wonderful if other folks in your biz would have the where-with-all to posit their thoughts. Yes, I know RGA (whomever that is) and some other niche unknowns post occasionally, but you're the only one who regularly steps up to the plate.

Edits: 06/26/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.