Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Critics being critical: 10 Audio pans the Krell S-275

..."Seriously? For the most part, he is a billboard for one manufacturer"...

Two of my latest purchases: Line Magnetic and Audio Space (PS bought with no review attached - I may review them down the line - but bought first). That's two manufacturers. Sure I like that "other" manufacturer a whole helluva lot but it's not generally affordable or represents sane value.

"with little reviewing experience."

Well everyone has to start somewhere. I can't listen to and write 700 amplifier reviews in a week to catch up. On the flip side I would argue that I didn't need to sit through 700 amplifiers to figure out what quality sound is. Morricab on the speaker asylum has put out a pretty good list as to some of the things that represent a truly great sounding amplifier - people can quibble over some of them - but if it's high feedback it's probably not good.

I am also not 65 years old with 45 years of listening to everything that ever came down the pipe. I have been listening to gear seriously for 20 years - 10 years of that to mostly mainstream audiophile approved brands. I certainly don't claim to be the most experienced best reviewer to ever walk the earth. I don't have the depth of experience of much older product lines. I am currently reviewing an LS3/5a the first such speaker I've heard for more than 10 minutes (the last one was Grant Fidelity version and a Harbeth). But this is an old hat reference standard monitor for many other more experienced critics.

So yeah - I am out of my depth on experience. On the flip side I also don't bring any emotional attachment to the LS3/5a - I am not going to compare it to 12 other versions or the original because I might have been 3 years old when the original came out. I have no nostalgia factor where when I was 18 I always dreamed of owning one and 30 years later I am more amenable to being favorable to it. No I look at it as "just another" small box in a sea of small boxes. Sometimes a lack of experience in this kind of situation can "perhaps" provide a fresher perspective or objective perspective rather than a "fan" of the design.

..."No, he initially and unnecessarily criticized 10 Audio because the reviewer has different taste in equipment than he..."

Actually his taste wasn't the issue - he didn't like the Krell - guess what - I don't much like the Krell sound myself. I have never heard a system using a Krell that I remotely liked for that matter - indeed 6/10 is probably considerably more than I would give them based on what I have heard over the years.

I just think they deserve more of a fair shake in a publicized review is all. As for some of the items they like I may disagree with their preference but they did a good job reviewing those - namely the Brystons.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.