Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

July TAS & Stereophile looking up

Interesting reviews in the new TAS & Stereophile. Interesting in that many are negative. A good sign IMO. Makes all the reviews more trustworthy. TAS: Harley's review of Venture Ultimate Reference Loudspeaker- This is a $140,000 speaker whose bass "didn't plumb the depths of the lower most octaves". Has an uneven tonal balance- "a slight reticence in the lower midrange couples with a slight prominence in the upper-mids". " The Reference is best partnered with forgiving sources and electronics". The wood finish is very nice. So so review of the Nola Metro Grand Reference Loudspeaker by Jim Hannon. Excellent review of the Raidho C 1.1 Loudspeaker by Johathan Valin. Interesting article on "How I Justify Buying Expensive Stereo Equipment". Stereophile: Lansche Audio 5.1- A $41,000 to $46,000 speaker reviewed by John Atkinson. The low frequencies need room reinforcement. Needs solid state amps to sound transparent, clean and detailed but the speaker does not jell unless used with tubes. A real problem there. Audio Note CD-4.1x reviewed by Art Dudley. This is a $12,000 CD player. This player had terrible measurements and I mean terrible. The reviewer still liked the sound. Thought provoking. Excellent review of the Audio Research Reference 150 Amplifier by Erick Lichte. There is hope for these magazines yet.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - July TAS & Stereophile looking up - ruxtonvet 12:45:09 06/10/12 (10)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.