Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: The basic problem

First, I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do. I cannot fathom some choices, but I am not forcing anything on anyone.

Second, I do not know why everyone is reading into this that I'm some knight on a horse trying to rescue vinyl. I said repeatedly I don't care what medium people prefer, I just can't understand why anyone would want to own nothing.

Third, I don't "love" records. There is more good to say about them than any other method (because yes, I consider the packaging, art etc.. all part of the experience) but choosing them is a lifestyle because they require things from you (work, time and money) to get the most from them, things many people don't want to do. - Reel to reel was higher quality, but as you note, tape simply doesn't hold up.

Fourth, if people are happy owning nothing then be that as it may, but please stop trying to equate some server in a building in Iowa that's storing it as "real", so it's real. IT'S NOT REAL. What if my house burns down.. what if the server facility burns down? What if hackers decide to go after your data instead of attacking some corporation? You people stand a far greater chance of losing it all in a blink than I do.

Fifth, if you think listening to a bad, 20 second clip on amazon is the equivalent to time in a good, actual "real" store then we have nothing to discuss, because we are so far removed there is no common ground. Maybe you were shopping in the wrong stores.

Finally, what everyone keeps completely missing is my post was not about format choice. It was about our choice as a society - Who we are as a people and what we represent. We already have reached a point where we are more fractured than ever. People live in their own micro bubbles now, they have their own "facts", and they don't like other peoples facts because they're all wrong. Go to any restaurant and everyone waiting for a table is staring like a mindless zombie at some device, even the children. Nobody talks, nobody looks at others, our society is about to implode, and none of you get it or see it. When you start removing the human elements from society you are removing the humanity from society. Open your eyes and look, it is happening.

That, if anything, is what I am upset about and what I am talking about. Only it appears so many of you are so far in the woods none of you see the trees anymore. That means it's not going to end pretty, and the cliff I see coming you people are going to drive us over, all the while telling me how OK it is.

I'm sorry. It's not OK. I'm also not going to be a party to it ever. What I can't believe is something as inane as Woody Allens Sleeper is coming to life right before my eyes. It won't be long before you all are telling "people like me" I'm supid for having messy, inconvenient sex when you all use an orgasmatron, in your white houses with your empty rooms and the music cable plugged into the backs of your necks.

What a fool I am.

It's all about the music...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: The basic problem - Peter Gunn 07:27:18 06/07/12 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.