Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: The basic problem

That's an inaccurate comparison. It would be more correct to say "Assume you and Tony both had a kid, you had a real kid and Tony had a photo of a kid (and the negative). If your kid dies and Tony's photo is destroyed, he can go make his kid again.

I'd rather have the real kid and risk the loss. Tony has nothing but an illusion.

If I was enamoured with the past... well, what is the past anyway? I mean really, CD's came out almost 30 years ago, isn't that the past? Where do you magically draw the line? I also didn't defend the never ending conga line of media they tried to pull on us, and I never sold my stuff to buy it all over again on the next great "thing." So your snarky "78" commnent was not based on anything I said.

This disagreement wasn't about choice of media anyway, it was about media of any kind versus nothing. Tony (and technology) is a heartbeat away from plugging his "device" into the back of his neck and hearing the music right in his brain. Tell me, is that going to be "real" too? When Tony is in his white, empty room, sitting in his white chair with a cable plugged into his neck will that be called "living" and is that something we want to aspire to? That's life? You better decide, you'll be making that choice very soon. Virtual reality is on the doorstep, and he's about to knock.

...and while he's doing that, you'll laugh at and ridicule me for listening to a real 78 once owned by my grandfather? Something he owned and that had meaning to him....and you tell me my outlook is messed up?

Lets destroy all the art too while we're at it. Why own a Van Gogh that might be lost in a fire when I can have a jpeg on my phone?

You and Tony go have your shiny future for all the good it will do either of you. You keep despising records because they have "little goodness". (whatever the hell that means) I'm done with this thread because you people don't get it. I'm not telling either of you how to live, I'm just questioning your sanity because neither of you see the wall that's coming up fast and hard. You remind me of the types who forced the future on people 60 years ago, when americans went from eating wholesome, home cooked meals to frozen TV Dinners and "snack" foods laced with cancer causing hydrogenated oils. How did that work out? Do you still drink Tang?

To quote Dr Albert Schweitzer - "Man has lost the capacity to foresee and to forestall, he will end by destroying the world."

It's all about the music...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.