Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Is this the article?

I love Hi-Fi Choice's blind tests, but they usually don't test components that I am interested in. What speakers did the Audio Note speakers beat in a blind test? BTW, the Audio Note's that I heard at the 2010 CAS were the only ones that made CDs sound pleasant (yes, using an Audio Note cd player). The Audio Note AN-Es also properly load a room, and here only a handful of speakers can match the Es in this regard (my Dunlavy's image great, but don't match the room-filling sound of the Es). My Fulton Js are fully competitive with the Es in loading a room. The Acapella High Violoncello II ($80,000) were the only speaker at the first two CAS shows that could load a room. I suspect that TTT's Dunlavy's SC Vs with sub-woofer could do this, but very few speakers can do this on their own. I have not found any measurements that tell how well a given speaker loads a room. You just have to listen.

As far as measurements go, digital is NOT always superior to analogue. As JA himself admitted in the May Stereophile, " the LP's RIAA equalization results in the LP having better resolution than CD where it is most important--in the presence region, where the ear is most sensitive--but not as good where it doesn't matter, in the top or bottom octaves". Plus, as audio is analogue, digital systems must convert the original analogue sound to digital bits, and, then, after manipulating those bits in billions of ways, must reconvert the digital sound back to analogue so that human beings can listen to the music. IMO, whenever possible, the simple route is nearly always superior to the more complex (at least in audio). Until I heard some recent high res digital, all digital sounded brittle and constricted in the highs.

I have loved many of Audio Research's tube units; they sacrifice very little to ss in the reproduction of the initial attack of notes, and very little to most tube amps in proper decay. They can power almost any speaker. SET amps are another story. Three of my four favorite rooms at the 2010 and 2011 CASs were driven by SET amps. Done properly, they would seem to be a more simple and direct route to amplifying sound. To my ears, they simply sound purer than push-pull tubes or ss amps. Why I am not sure (no negative feedback?). However, you need a highly efficient speaker, with an easy load. Very few efficient speakers are truly full-range. Look at the Voxativ Ampeggio speaker: despite Stereophile's claim that they have "deep, well-controlled bass", JA's own measurements show them to be down about 20 dB at 60 Hz, and that's surely NOT deep bass!!!

Unfortunately very few dealers carry SET amps here in the SF bay area, so it's extremely hard to compare SET amps to other tube types.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Is this the article? - the old school 21:58:32 06/05/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.