Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: A Question for Reviewers who Own LS3/5As

It may be that they are just super sensitive to positioning.

I have had to revisit a bunch of speakers that I have disliked because in most cases they were connected to high feedback SS amplifiers (which basically writes off any and all hope of it producing sound that I would pay for). The horrible sound may indeed merely have been the speakers tell me how horrible HNF amps are. While the speakers I liked better may have been softening those amps up a but.

I discovered that on the AN K/Spe - Listening to Audyssey, Bryston, Rotel -- eesh - had I heard the speakers with those amps first I would think the speaker a pile of poo. Fortunately, I heard the speaker with amplifiers that don't ruin music.

My harsher stance on panel speakers have been changed over the years with tube amplifiers and it seems the better makers King Sound and Sound Labs and Martin Logan all brought tube amps to demonstrate.

Still I'd like to compare the LS3/5a and AB1 against Audio Note's AX Two. The latter is $700 is 90db sensitive and around 50hz in room. It's been my budget champ for about 6 years - and when I heard them again in Hong Kong - I bought them. No of course they're not full range and you can't play big music at big levels - but for their size and weight class and kept at sane levels - I think they'll give most a run for their money.

Gotta compare apples to apples. The LS3/5a is made for small rooms with limited low frequency response. Can't compare them to full range beasties.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.