Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Hi, Ozzy. I don't want to see vinyl Old Believers hasten the CD into an early grave.

I favor blind tests, long term tests. I remember at the CAS 2010 show, in one room they played several digital versions of Bill Evans' "Waltz for Debby". Yes, each higher res digital version was superior. As it happened, I had a vinyl record of "Waltz for Debby" and got them to play the same cut. The analogue was so superior to the highest digital version that several listeners broke out in laughter! Better micro and macro dynamics, detail, and, of course, tonality. Music is, and always will be, analogue. Digital systems have to convert that original analogue sound to digital bits, and, then, after manipulating those bits in trillions of ways, have to reconvert those bits back to analogue (as real, live humans only hear analogue)!!! What a waste of time! My favorite room at the CAS 2011 was using analogue tape as a source. This was in the Sonist room, where the total cost of the system was quite modest!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.