Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

As to the hinted at follow-up a few words on what we can expect ...

The reviewer has stated in a post here that with regard to bass performance " ... I would be surprised if it was different with a speaker that does not have a powered subwoofer."

Examining his own reviews of two of the three speaker systems used in the review we can set some expectations for the follow-up, in particular characteristics for the partnering passive speaker system.

GoldenEar Technology Triton Two

"... Minnesota Orchestra's recording of Mussorgsky-Ravel's Pictures at an Exhibition (HDCD, Reference RR-79CD) came across with real authority, the bass drum and organ providing an underpinning that's merely hinted at by speakers lacking the bottom octave..."

Avantgarde Acoustic Uno Nano

"The bass pumped out by its SUB225-N woofer was deep and powerful; the synthesizer that begins "Temple Caves," from Mickey Hart's Planet Drum (CD, Rykodisc RCD 10206), shook the room with its power."

So a passive speaker system that can do proper justice to the bottom octave is called for.

Just for interest sake a few quotes on the heavy lifting end of those speaker systems:

GoldenEar Technology Triton Two

"The actual bass heavy lifting is carried out by the two 5" by 9", ultra-long-throw Quadratic Sub-Bass drivers mounted on the front baffle. These are driven by a 1200W class-D amplifier, also of GoldenEar's design."

Avantgarde Acoustic Uno Nano

"... the Nano's SUB225-N active woofer is derivative of the Uno's SUB225, which itself had been improved for the Uno 3.0, and, like the SUB225, has two 10" woofers, now driven by a substantially revised 250W amplifier."

---

It will be quite interesting to see if the reviewer can locate such a speaker system, I suspect it will be no small task, in fact I rather expect that driven by the PrimaLuna ProLogue Premium that the bass will dissolve into mush on most passive speaker systems capable of doing justice to the bottom octave long before pulling off such feats, and that regardless of the rated sensitivity (of the speaker system). In fairness to PrimaLuna I would expect such to be true from the vast majority, if not all, of amplifiers with similar power output capability.

Finally as to the puzzling (to me) comment, "Thanks for the comment. I'm not unaware of this issue...", whatever that actually neans, we can again resort to one of the reviews to gain knowledge of what was clear.

"Another factor that needs to be kept in mind is the Uno Nano's 104dB sensitivity—it can be driven by an amplifier of just about any power output, including those "flea-watt" single-ended-triode tube amps Sam Tellig is so fond of."

This is hardly controversial since the demands for the bass, sometimes misleading since many high sensitivity rating passive system nonetheless don't reveal true bass capability until driven with real muscle, are taken care of by the system's active bass amplification.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • As to the hinted at follow-up a few words on what we can expect ... - bjh 13:09:43 05/22/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.