Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Strange review context Bob Deutsch review.....

First my bias, I enjoy reading reviews by Mr. Deutsch and I enjoy reading Stereophile.

However, in Mr. Deutsch's review of the PrimaLuna ProLogue Premium, in the June Stereophile, he uses three loudspeakers in his review, the Avantgarde Uno Nano, the GoldenEar Triton Two, and the MartinLogan Montis. What seems strange, apart from the affectation that some of these marques have of putting capitals in the middle of compound words, is that they all have integral powered woofers, or powered subwoofers if you prefer.

I have read the magazine for over thirty years as entertainment, not for buying guidance, however I don't really understand the exclusive use of powered woofers in an amplifier review.

On the face of it, one wants to know how an amplifier will perform in the bass and, while inferences can be drawn, that's pretty different than having the amp actually drive a woofer.

Edits: 05/18/12 05/18/12 05/18/12 05/18/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - Strange review context Bob Deutsch review..... - viridian 16:41:53 05/18/12 (37)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.