Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Agree to disagree.

I was able to cancel my worst room mode with my reflex loaded Focals in my system setup. This involved messing around with the cross-over settings and positioning of the speakers. I suspected this would be possible after several weeks of listening and tweaking, but I wasn't able to figure out how to make it work until I got a calibrated microphone and RTA and could see how the controls and speaker positioning interacted. Also, it was necessary to read some of the literature on the web on room modes, dipoles, sub setup, etc. which helped me make sense of what was happening. I can't say I really understood what I was doing, but I did get an intuitive understanding of how the response curve was related to my tweaking which helped get differing response curves. With a little listening of reference recordings it was then possible to fine tune the process and choose the most satisfactory compromise.

I suspect it would be possible to cancel an additional room mode if I got another sub, but apart from the cost I'm not sure I would be able to put it where I wouldn't trip over it without rearranging lots of stuff, and I'm happy with what I'm presently getting, both in sound and in measurements. It's hard to complain about a resolving system that reveals what's on each recording still making the mediocre recordings enjoyable if the musical performance is good.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.