Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: T.H.E. Show, New York 2012

"Lots of bass, lots of highs, very dynamic, but no life. We heard a fairly flat soundstage between the speakers with no height. I felt like I was sitting in a balcony of a theater looking down onto the stage."

That must have been the recording as that description is exactly the opposite of what I heard. If anything there was rather limited bass out of the Sonys. I honestly was surprised that they could drive that room without some obvious woofer doubling. I believe we can credit that to the iron grip off 600 watts of Pass power. The highs were what they needed to be. Smooth and extended. On Marsalis' trumpet, they flew with no response peaks. Even far off axis listening provided a good stereo image. I do tend to walk around the rooms to hear different presentations.

"I also was unimpressed with the YGs in both rooms. I'm sure they were capable of so much more but they didn't impress me when I heard them."

The YGs across the hall had the ideal speaker choice for the room size. If anything the room length should have been beneficial to the low end, yet the lows were rather wooly sounding. What I really did not like though was the highs. No room excuses there either as the side walls were easily 7 feet ouside the side edges. What I, and others commented on were serious high frequency abberations, especially on cymbals. I'd have to guess that one of the tweeters was damaged or replaced and inadvertantly wired out of phase. Even then, the levels in comparison to the mids was noticably tilted up. Sorry, from the editorials of the components in that room I expected nothing less than a collection plate shortly after hearing them.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.