Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Agree to disagree.

the choice of music selection is obviously a factor which is no doubt why the majority of rooms at shows play the same tired Diana Krall albums over and over. Many rooms simply play what their speakers are good at reproducing.

Some rooms will play music no matter how terrible the recording is because they like the music - the rooms that do this put themselves at a disadvantage on a walk in. This is why I am amused to read comments of speakers I know well and the comments are in polar opposition to what the speaker or system can actually do when given different source material. Or put better room A may use a terrible recording room B uses a great one and even though room A is much better than room B on that specific comparison room B will come out on top. Some recordings also seem to have a kind of boominess built into the recording (perhaps to compensate for car audio or for headphones to add some weight) The high-fi system gets blamed for being boomy when in fact it's the recording and the stereo is telling it like it is. What is more of a problem is when there is this boom on the recording and the stereo can't reproduce it - then while it may sound better on that recording - it is not a very good stereo system.

Speakers that lack bass and dynamics tend to sound cleaner - well of course - when you hack 3 octaves out and you don't move any air - of course it will sound "clear" but you threw away significant amounts of the recordings in order to do it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.