Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

T.H.E. Show, New York 2012

OK. I was at the show today in NYC and I guess I'm the first to comment on it.

First things first. This was a more enjoyable show than the AXPONA 2011 in NYC. The venue was the Waldorf-Astoria. A gorgeous and very upscale hotel. Last years show was in a dingy and dark location with tiny rooms and generally terrible acoustics.

Many of the rooms used for the current show were large with carpeting, high, ceilings, window draperies and various architectural elements which aided diffusion. On the down side, the majority of vendors, other than MBL and Legacy, and a few others, did not have dedicated rooms, but shared space with other vendors, and were often hosted by retail shops like Sound by Singer and Innovative Audio. The total number of high end manufactures that participated was almost as sparse as last years AXPONA NYC show.

Interestingly, while the show was billed as and Audio and AV show. I did not see even one room that hosted video, although I did not get to every one and may have missed a demo or two. The turn out on Saturday was much better than the 2011 show, but still very low when compared to the NYC shows from years past.

I wanted to hear the big YG's but was disappointed they were not being played in one of the better rooms. I also wanted to hear Harbeth speakers, but they were not on demo in the room that was listed for them. There were very few accessory and music vendors selling products at show prices as I've seen in the past.

In general, while I'm glad I went, the current show and the 2011 AXPONA are both mere shadows of the expansive audio shows from several years back that were a regular affair at the NY Hilton. Those shows took place on 3 or 4 different floors with scores of rooms and had a huge vendor participation. Those were the glory days. Sigh.

Maggies, because you can never be too thin!

Mark

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Topic - T.H.E. Show, New York 2012 - MaggieLover 22:47:20 04/14/12 (53)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.