Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

That 1.7 review is nonsense

As far as I know, the new 3/7 design hasn't been patented. It may have been covered by an earlier patent that's expired. And absent patents, of course it can be copied -- even with, not infrequently, it isn't that easy to write a patent that can't be worked around. That's presumably why Magnepan doesn't want to send that measurement to everyone in the audio business. I mean, it's not as if every manufacturer buys and analyzes every competing speaker model that comes on the market.

By the way, many swear by Magnestand's modifications and PG has always been generous with his expertise and time. However, PG's review of the 1.7 is riddled with misinformation. I have no doubt that PG was sincere when he wrote it, but I've pointed out some of the many factual errors in it, including nonsensical, even libelous statements such as his assertion the supertweeter is a marketing gimmick. It should have been corrected or removed long ago.

As to the subjective audio quality of the 1.7, virtually all the reviews I've seen, personal or in the press, have been raves. For example, Brian Damkroger had this to say about the CES demo you panned: "The 1.7s sounded truly spectacular and at just $2000/pair, destined to be another winner for Magnepan." Pretty typical of the show reviews, as I recall. You of course have a right to your opinion, but it is not widely held.

Edits: 03/19/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.