Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Print-zines, E-zines, size, policies, etc.

I think they've already demonstrated that, for the Times, anyway, subscription revenue more than makes up for any loss in advertising revenue. In part, this is because they intentionally made the paywall porous -- readers are allowed 20 free articles a month, so casual readers, or readers who are directed from a search, pay nothing, so they still get those hits. And they were counting on the fact that a significant percentage of more committed readers would subscribe. They're still the fifth most popular news web site, with 59 million unique monthly visitors -- not bad for a publication that targets the elite.

As far as I know, the magazines that have used a pay model for electronic distribution haven't done so via the web, but rather via PDF's or similar dedicated apps. They've kept their websites free and offered come-ons, like excerpted articles, or delayed ones. But it seems to me the "porous paywall" model might work for them as well -- in a sense, it's already what they're doing. Hard to know until someone does it (if they haven't already, this isn't something I follow closely).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Print-zines, E-zines, size, policies, etc. - josh358 15:09:25 03/02/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.