Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Print-zines, E-zines, size, policies, etc.

I think people are willing to pay for print because they are holding something tangible in their hand. On the other hand, with a web based publication, most people, I think as you stated elsewhere, are conditioned to not paying for content on the web, I think, in part, because it is relatively easy to produce. People are be willing to pay for paper versus opinions, particularly when those opinions seem to come from garden variety audiophiles.

The other difference between the two is the quality, or perceived quality, differences. I think people would still pay for a Sterephile subscription if it was available only over the web. I think the reason for this is because Stereophile started life as a print publication, and the perception, accurate I think, is that because it competes for reader dollars the free market forces it to be better than the next guy, which forces print magazines like Stereophile to invest in the best writers, the best test equipment, and contract with the top folks in their respective fields to write articles, otherwise it perishes.

On the other hand, it is relatively easier to start a web based publication, and because readers can read them for free, the web based publications are not really competing with each other, and so do not need to pay the best writers, reviewers, for the best equipment, and contract with leaders in their fields to write articles. Doing so will not increase their web circulations. There is no free market forces in play, so they simply spit out opinions. I understand that they are not free to produce, but because of them having significantly less overhead, their margin for error is significantly lower than a print magazine. People flock to something free. I glance monthly at all the web based publications too, and so manufacturers will advertise enough with a web based publication to at least allow it to break even.

So, even if a web based publication came along which offered a level of competence comparable to that of print based publications, I think it becomes a hard sell to get people to pay money for that content because the perception of the web is defined by other web based publications that are really only a guy and his friends generating opinions, and the fact that the web based publication is not really delivering anything tangible. The market eliminates most of the pretenders in the print world. The web gives the pretenders a place to call home.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.