Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Actually, I was thinking about something like

I had a rating system that I made up in 2004 over at audioreview.

I modified three rating systems and belended them together - Stereophile's LLF categorizing, enjoythemusic.s numerical system.

What I was planning though had 11 categories each out of ten. Each reviewer could add modifiers to what they felt was most important.

So if the reviewer placed a premium on soundstaging and awarded the speaker and 8/10 he could add a X2 or a X3 modifier so it would weight more heavily on the overall mark - while I as a review would not place any modifier on that but have a X4 modifier on cohesiveness because if it doesn't sound "of a piece" then IMO all is lost (which hurts most large multi-way speakers) so they really have to be good everywhere else to make up the difference.

But this allows the reader to know instantly what the reviewer values.

The overall score was out of 200 and a percentage would be calculated. And speakers for example were compared against ALL speakers at all Price points. So if an Acapella Violoncello scores 90% a Paradigm Atom might get 22%.

But I had a further factor involving set price ranges - so at $200 if the expected percentage or average was 15% and the Atom scored 22% it would be well above average for the price - so it would be awarded a Best Buy or Recommended Tag (the third magazine was Hi-Fi Choice)

If I ran my own magazine I would incorporate this - but I don't.

And speakers that got 90% above would be class world class speaker regardless of price - though it may not be awarded top marks in the value for the dollar camp.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Actually, I was thinking about something like - RGA 18:29:06 02/26/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.