Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Something like that has been tried...

...back in the early 1980s there was a publication called High Performance Review which Stereophile reviewer Larry Greenhill was part of. They used the same peices of music in each review to help illustrate the DUT's sonic signature along with measurements and graphs.

Unfortunately, the writing was pretty structured and came across very dry and uninteresting.

Writing in TAS back in the 1990s, Tony Cordesman (AHC) use a laundry list of criteria in each of his reviews for a while. Again, it got to be pretty repetitive and boring so he dropped it.

Martin Colloms developed a point scale which he has used in his reviews. Then he modified it which made all of his prior reviews using the old point system impossible to compare with the new one.

The problem with a "subjective rating system" is that each reviewer, like each reader, values various aspects of the musical reproduction differently (listening biases).

It's difficult to improve on Stereophile's prose reviews, measurements and then ranking in the different classes in the periodic RCL.

Personally, I want the reviews to be interesting and well written. I read them for entertainment, and if I were interested in buying a component, a guide to help me make a short list from.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Something like that has been tried... - mkuller 11:48:47 02/26/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.