Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: One of the problems with ezines...

Hi,

These are some pretty broad generalizations with some straw-man arguments.

Yes, many magazines are run by "corporations," but are these somehow uninfluenced by advertising? I'll argue that there are more reasons why they could be influenced. For example, how many times have you heard about editorial pages to ad copy? The concept doesn't really exist on the Web, but it certainly in print. Is the brick wall really made of bricks when that balance must be maintained?

I'm fully aware of how print magazines are forced to run today because I have plenty of friends and acquaintances who work in a variety of industries and I can tell you that some work for magazines that are owned by large corporations, while some of the print magazines they work for are one- or two-(wo)man shops, not unlike the Web. There are no black and white rules such as those that are outlined. In fact, in some print magazines the advertisers have shocking control over the content of the magazines.

As another person pointed out, it really comes down to how things are being run and who is running it. I can also say that many webzines (not just audio but outside of that) have numbers on their staff that outnumber print. Things changed a long time ago.

Doug Schneider
SoundStage! Network

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.