Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: One of the problems with ezines...

Perhaps I am wrong, but I think the point Mike was making is that the business model for a print magazine is different than that of an e-zine based publication. From what I can gather most if not all of the e-zine publications seem to be a creature of one or a few persons who started the publication, and pretty do or oversee everything to keep the thing running, and so every decision from editorial to transmission to advertising is handled by one person. The variable this model introduces is that when the same person has their hands in both the editorial and the advertising portions of the publication, it is much easier for the right hand to influence what the left hand is doing, and vice versa. On the other hand, the print magazines seem to be owned by corporations who own numerous publications across a broad spectrum of topics, and they pretty much operate their magazines in such a way that the editorial side is run by one group of people, and the advertising side is run by another group of people, because the advertising people, I would imagine, are handling advertising for multuple publications. Therefore, there is less chance for the editorial to influence the advertising, and vice versa - the two portions are run as two separate entities.

I don't think Mike was commenting upon the mode of delivery - so, yea, Stereophile and TAS have a web presence, but the web presence and the electronic delivery feed off the print edition, not vice versa. I doubt that because they both have a means of electronic delivery that they are therefore the same or similar.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.