Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: I wrote about Luxman's DU-50 player in Stereophile last year... .

Hi John,

No, I don't think there is a hidden agenda, I'm not looking for any voodoo, I just sincerely wanted to know how the selection process took place.

Purely from my own perspective, I was shocked when no audio magazine elected to do a full review of the Denon DCD A100 since, as I mentioned earlier, the DAC's in use are considered so esoteric and yet the player is selling for $2500.

This left me wondering how many other fine pieces are hanging out there that I and others will never hear about, yet Esoteric, Cary, Mac and so many others get their gear reviewed everytime they change the packing material.

If it's incumbent on the Manufacturer to seek out the reviews then shame on Denon (and any other manufacturer who misses the boat), but if reviewers themselves should be actively seeking out the "best" gear to review then I think the boat has been missed in a few cases I alone know of.

Whether the piece of gear I long for receives a reviewers thumbs up or not is no concern to me, I'll drive 500 miles to hear a piece of gear before I buy it...but many won't. Too many folks place a heavy emphasis on what the rags tell them is good within their fixed price range, and that's why I'm asking. When I read a thread like the one I just spoke of, and I have heard the piece of gear myself and know that it could have easily sold for twice it's price had it received glowing reviews in either of the magazines I mentioned, then I have concerns.

Anyway, I do appreciate your response.

Rick.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.