Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: A Modest proposal

Unless you decide that you should match your own hearing to that of the reviewer, I fail to see the relevance here.

Precious few reviewers are under 40, so they will have some degree of age-related hearing loss. Most will have been around the block some and have hearing damage from too many concerts. Which fits perfectly with most of the audiophiles who buy this stuff.

If the audio world was chock full of 20-somethings wanting to buy high-end gear, I could understand the need to get reviewers with similar hearing profiles. But the reviewers we've got are as deaf as we are, within normal operating parameters.

Besides, what advantage would this really bestow? We tend to follow the work of particular reviewers, because we find them consistently in (or out of) agreement with our tastes. Chances are, if we knew that reviewer X's hearing rolled off at 13kHz, we'd refuse to take their work seriously, even though our own hearing may be far, far more rolled off.

Think about it a moment. You tend to agree with the reviews of BJ Hardick and bought your Truculent Fudgetunnel V preamp on the basis of his reviews. You then discover his hearing falls off in the early teens. Do you suddenly decide the product is no good because it was recommended by someone with less than perfect hearing? Do you instead go with the conclusions of Dick Thrust because he's 24 and has near perfect hearing, despite every time you hear one of his recommendations, the product sounds like someone emptied a sack of ball bearings into a spin dryer?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: A Modest proposal - Gag Halfrunt 08:50:24 11/21/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.