Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: the view as an insider

First off, there's nothing "on the side" about the transaction. It's upfront.

Second, I think you're missing an important point. The writer isn't gonna sell the thing for a profit--that's not allowed, and if it happens it is--and should be--a major scandal. So if he doesn't like the car/amplifier, he has no incentive to plug it (he wouldn't want it anyway). But if he does like it, and would give it a good review anyway, then there's no incentive to make the review even better. S/he can get the accomodation price with an accurate review, so why lie?

It's possible, I suppose, that a manufacturer stung by a lousy review might keep a reviewer from getting an accommodation price. But in that case the reviewer wouldn't want that piece of equipment anyway.

Maybe the point you're missing is this: I don't have to please anyone to get these deals. I don't have to make my review extra-nice. I probably don't have to make it nice at all. So there's really no motivation at all to deceive.

If you want a source of bias, there are far better ones to fixate on. For example, if you get to know someone and you find them to be honest, serious, and kind, but they've built (or imported) a lousy component, it can be, I suspect, pretty hard to write something bad. Personally, I've never had this experience, since I still know very few people in this industry. And there are many, many instances (some of which have been mentioned on this forum) where reviewers have given bad reviews to components made by people they know well and respect. And that's because those reviewers have a sense of integrity and value their reputations.

You are seeking, apparently, proof of people's integrity and the integrity of the process. That's an awfully hard standard to meet--higher than most people require. And that proof--absolute, systematic assurance--would come at a very high price, even if it were obtainable. There are good, honest people in this industry, including in the media. If you don't trust them, that's fine--don't read them. But a lot of people do, and with some obvious exceptions that have been discussed here, they deserve it.

Jim

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.