Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: Who ever claimed...

Couple of post up in this thread mkuller said,

"Without the ability to purchase at accomodation prices - like everyone else in the industry - few would be willing to do it."

From your P.S.

"I do think you'd find that if accommodation pricing, long-term loans, etc., were limited most of the online journals would dry up."

Personally I doubt it. The reason is that I strongly suspect that items purchased on accomondation represent but a tiny fraction of all items reviewed by any given reviewer, i.e. if a guy purchases one out of every 20-25 items reviewed then it would seem that purchase potential doesn't rate terribly high as motivation to engage in reviewing.

A minor point, there is an assumption in what you've said that the writers for the online journals do in fact enjoy the privledge of accomondations prices. How do we know that is the case? Sure it's a benefit manufacturers grant to people who work in the industry, but would a manufacture be willing to offer it to a fellow who, say, wrote 2 reviews for 6moons in his entire (part-time) career? Maybe yes (i.e. fromn the manufacturer's perspective it's just another sale), maybe no (many of these guys have their own strong opinions on things, any reader here can attest to such), point is who knows?

For what it's worth I'll just like to remind that I personally don't object to accomondations sales, and I do think it makes good sense for the professional reviewer as an aid for constructing reference system(s)... I simply don't believe it is a defacto a necessary element to attract reviews to the field, that all.

No Guru, No Method, No Teacher

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.