Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

What you propose might be possible

but it hasn't happened yet--or, anyway, it hasn't succeeded yet. I would take that as an indication that it probably isn't viable.

More to the point, it seems to me that what you're seeking is to take the passion out of writing about audio--anyway, that would be the effect--which I think would be a big mistake. We're talking about music here, and the ability of a piece of electronics to convey profound emotion. How are you going to get this done with a review staff that is, effectively, pithed?

We are fortunate to live in a society where many of us--those with an education and marketable skills--are able to make choices about how we earn our living. I, certainly, have a choice. If this isn't fun anymore, I'll go do something that IS fun.

If you can find people with the required knowledge and writing ability who are willing to write for a publication on the terms that you propose--and if you can pay them enough to keep them working for you while also at least breaking even--well, good luck with that. I probably won't read it because I think your magazine will be boring. But perhaps enough people will to allow you to pay the bills. Perhaps.

It's apparent to me that what you want just isn't something that would appeal to most folks. I'm trained as a scientist, and this kind of dispassionate approach is precisely what I look for in a peer-reviewed scientific journal. I see you're a "P", so maybe this is exactly what you're seeking. (Maybe the AES Journal is what you're looking for.) But the electronic reproduction of music is a hobby for most of us. I look forward to reading Stereophile every month. It's fun. And I want it to STAY fun. I think most others do, too.

One final point: Did you read that interview with HP on analoglovers.com? I thought it was interesting where he said he was surprised to learn that most readers LIKED the ads.

Best of luck,
Jim Austin

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • What you propose might be possible - Jim Austin 04:18:06 03/09/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.