Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Not much in a long, long time...

>What have you observed that is good about the Audio Critic?>

First, I want to say I appreciate the softer, more thoughtful tone you've been taking lately in your recent posts.

As a charter subscriber to The Audio Critic when it began in about 1978, it has changed dramatically and I have a very strong opinion about it (surprise). Here's my take on it.

Aczel's background before publishing TAC was as an ad copywriter who worked in audio. The first issue was a listening comparison and rating of about 24 different audiophile preamps available at the time. No one before or since had untaken a survey of that magnitude. The magazine was a force to be reckoned with.

In 1980, after a very irregular publishing schedule, the magazine gave a rave review to a new speaker, the Fourier, and the magazine ceased publishing for 7 years.

In the meantime, the Fourier company was a flop and went bankrupt. In 1987 when Aczel and TAC came back, he admitted he was a 50% owner of Fourier.

Since then, his tone changed dramatically. It's as though he is an angry, bitter old man with a vendetta against high end audio for rejecting his 'first correctly designed loudspeaker'. He has aligned himself with people like Tom Nousaine, who believe that null DBTs *prove* nearly all amplifiers sound the same, for example.

I have not read TAC in years since it stopped appearing on newsstands. Aczel used to call TAC the audio magazine 'you loved to hate'. Now it's just plain hated.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Not much in a long, long time... - mkuller 10:07:11 03/02/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.