Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: If you really want to see magazines whoring themselves out

Not wanting to feed the beast, I held back from making the point that you just made. If I'm not mistaken, the European car manufacturers routinely sponsor "meet our new cars" events in Europe, where they often release models for their domestic market ahead of the U.S. version. All the car mag guys get to spend a few days driving the new models in some nice location like the French riviera or whatever.

I wonder who pays for those little junkets . . .?

Of course, it seemed very clear for a long time that Motor Trend's "Car of the Year" awards were driven by advertising considerations; and until recently, I have never taken Motor Trend seriously as an enthusiast's magazine. In the past few years, the contents seems to have been upgraded.

Unlike the case with stereo equipment, CR's car tests are actually somewhat worth reading. CR's point of view is, of course, different. They're more interested in utility, safety, reliability and so on, probably mirroring the concerns of their audience.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.