Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: down the tubes

Well, the opinion comes from me dude. I believe that 50-60% of the content of the current version of TAS is stuff that HP would never have even thought of publishing back when he ran the show. The 'broadening' of 'appeal' is strictly a commercial attempt to make the mag viable. That might be great from a business point of view (I believe hp was going under prior to the buy out), but it does nothing for the reader. I didn't agree with a lot of what was written in the 'old' tas, and I pretty much couldn't afford any of the equipment that they reviewed, but at least the stuff they reviewed was different from what you would see in Stereophile and it was interesting to read about. Now, tas seems to be trying to find a way to copy the best features of Stereophile (ie recommended components) and 'find' a 'wider' audience. If it were the only mag out there, then, hey, maybe this would be a good thing. But it's not. We don't (I don't) need two stereophiles (which is what it's coming down to). One is enough. It's like they give HP an allotment of pages in the back of the mag to continue his pursuit, and I agree there are several other good reviewers writing for it, but there is no cohesion, no point of view, etc. In the past somewhere hp made it known in print that he didn't have a very high opinion of r harley. Maybe his opinion has changed, who knows. In the same way that JGH used to BE Stereophile, HP was TAS. Now it's a mish-mash. So if you're still amazed and amused, so be it. It must be nice up there on your high horse.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.