Home Bottlehead Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

son of demag your Telefunkens...

hi all;
since i had some time on my hands while waiting for parts for the rebuild of a 1968 Fender Twin Reverb, i decided to demag a tube or two and see what the fuss is about. well, i set up my tube tester i designed and built last year that plugs directly into a mic channel of a mixer and you go from there. well, i recorded 30 sec. of noise coming out of a old 12AX7 i had lying around onto one track, and then turned off the tester and removed the tube. after a min. or so of demag. using an old Maxell tape(remember tape?) head demagnetizer i plugged it back in and repeated the process of recording 30 sec. of tube noise. RUBY TUESDAY! the demag'd track was about 6db down from the not-demag'd track and noticeably quieter. running the track faders up and down was quite the experience. well, being the skeptical sort, i tried the same procedure with a "new production" EH 12AY7 and got basically the same results! hey, tube demag'ing works; the only question now is, "...how long does this effect last?..." have fun with this one and later....

don

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - son of demag your Telefunkens... - geoduck 18:49:20 07/24/04 (3)

You can not post to an archived thread.