Home Bottlehead Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

Bottlehead preamp frustration. Help, if possible.

I purchased a Foreplay "whole deal" kit and hired a very experienced and competent Bottlehead kit builder to assemble the unit including an HV Snubber. I am using a Dynaco ST-70 tube amp. When the kit was complete, I was dismayed that it had noticeable "hum" although it measured within spec. Thinking there might be a problem somewhere, I sent the kit to Doc B to check out. He sent me a note back with the Foreplay stating "Hum was about 0.3mV RMS, well within spec". It was suggested that I might have a "ground loop" so I connected a wire from the Foreplay chassis to the amp chassis. The reduction in "hum" was barely noticeable and insignificant. I even hooked up two wires to make sure. I do not have a 3-prong electrical outlet at my house and use a 3-prong to 2-prong adapter to the electrical outlet. I do not know if this has anything to do with the hum or not. When I hook up my Carver solid state preamp to the Dynaco, there is not any hum. It is only when the Foreplay is used with the Dynaco that there is hum. How can I get rid of this "hum"?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Topic - Bottlehead preamp frustration. Help, if possible. - gumby1 15:03:03 12/15/03 (16)

You can not post to an archived thread.