Home Bottlehead Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

VSAC 2003 Craftsman's Awards and other musings

You asked for it and you got it!

The 2003 awards were a little different. If you want blue ribbons and honorable mentions, you can go to the state fair. VSAC should offer more. So here they are, in no particlular order other than the order in which our warped minds thought them up.

(1) In the always popular "Your Mama's a Ho" category, who else but Tony Ho for his super rendition of the Foreplay (even had a mirror on the ceiling so you could watch) and Seduction? Even had remote control S&B TVAs, just so you didn't have to interrupt more important ...ahem, things. Tony won a pair of TJ ST45s courtesy of Brian Cherry. But this is getting repetitious. Maybe for 2005 we?ll have a "When is a Ho not a Ho" category.

(2) For Dumster Divin' Excellence, a $500 open account at Parts Connexion to Hopper Chu, Hopper's battery-powered preamp with MQ iron took the prize from a donor who wished to remain anonymous (John Baresford Tipton, anyone?).

(3)"So you say you wanted a Flea Amp?" was what yours truly told James Kelsey, crafter of the basalt speakers that had everyone talking. Unfortunately, James' excellent creations weighed light on the efficiency side at 88dB. So that he can realize his dreams, he made off with a pair of Larry D Moore's "flower pot" horns complete with Fostex 206Es and back chamber.

(4)Lots of fine handiwork, but above it all, not the least for repeated quality efforts, stood the chassis of one Matt Kamna. In the "If I said you had a beautiful body would you hold it against me" category, Matt walked away with a pair of Gary Pimm's excellent pentode CCS's

(5) There were many amazing reditions of Bottlehead stuff (see Ho, Tony), but in the "Silk Purse out of a Sow's Ear" category, Dennis Alkire stood out. Dennis took a Foreplay and pair of Paramours and turned them into an audio version of James Bond's Aston Martin. Beautifully machined aluminum with mechanically and electrically isolated power supplies. The Foreplay functioned as a control amplifier indeed because all the power switching for the whole system was on the front panel. Dennis won a matched pair of Dutch Amperex Bugle Boy 12AU7s.

...Martini Break...

OK. back now.

(6)I may need some help describing this next one, because it wasn't really electronic, although it was tubular. Jim Marter built the most unique set of gravity-driven chimes I've seen. For that effort, in the Tubular Bells category Jim wins a fully built Seduction courtesy of Doc.

(7) We know our hobby is by and large (whoops) a 'guy thing". But master craftsman Paul Austin took the concept to the kinds of extremes we're accustomed to at VSAC. With a mastery of wood and metal, Paul produced for our enjoyment a Foreplay, a pair of JE LABs monoblocks and a pair of Straight 8's. All done in a way to make a high-end furniture gallery blush. So in the "Mine's Bigger than Yours" category, Paul tackes home an assorted bag of Jupiter caps, courtesy of Ron Welborne and Welborne labs.

(8)If you didn't see the next award winners on Saturday, you missed a treat. John Ott built a pair of compactron monoiblocks into - get this, a pair of SuperHero lunch boxes. One was Batman, and the other, IIRC was our friend Spidey. John had to leave early, but he still took home the prize in the "I never really grew up" category.

The prize? Well, it seems our friend VoltSecond has multiple talents. He brought his collection of ceramic chalices that he decorates with circuit diagrams. Very unique and very colorful, just like John's amps. A VS original is on its way to John.

(9) Think of the next award as one of those "lifetime achievemant" jobbies they are always handing out at the Oscars. The Oregon Triode Society showed up in force with a boatload of creations. So the Dixie Bottlehead Comrades-in-Arms Memorial Award goes to ther OTS. Not as grand as we made it sound, the OTS fellas took home a case of really cheap beer.

(10) Pete Riggle is a master angler. But he also is quite an amp builder. Pete showed up with a very retro looking 845. In the "I know you'd rather have a vintage split bamboo flyrod" category, Pete walked off with a DACT 50K stereo attenuator, courtesy of Nutshell Audio.

(11)Gary Crockett brought with Paramours showing distinct Asian influences. With beautiful handiwork, Gary turned his Paramours into Concubines. For his effort, he took home the "Raise the Red Lantern" award. And to keep things on that side of the Pacific rim, Gary won a pair of cutom interrconnects by Tony Ho. Yes, that Tony Ho.

(12)I knew we had something when I saw the name. How can you not like a Fostex back horn-and-sub system dubbed the Purple People Eaters? Maybe the best realization of a 208 Sigma back horn that doesn't carry the Cain & cain badge. Bill Franklin won the Sheb Wooley Memorial Award (what else?) - a pair of Big Stud binding posts for his next project.

(13) The next prize winner was a little deceptive. At first blush, it didn't look like much, but then you studied the schematics. So for the Most Innovative Use of Surplus Chassis, Dan McDonald won a pair of MQ EXO-46s, courtesy of Doc.

(14) Our next award winner had a distinct advantage because he lives in close proximity to VSAC, Still it was an impressive showing and some of it even sounded good ;-). So in the "I brought the most toys so I win" category, Gary Pimm wins a vintage analogue multimeter donated by Terry Cain.

Special Shout-Out to Our Bros cuz We Sleep Better Knowing You're Here to Dan Garcia and Steve Miller - security par excellence.

------------------------------------------------------------------

NOw some random thoughts about VSAC. It's like that snowball the Temps sang about - it's growing. And I've seen some suggestions downpage for more things to be added.

Here's how VSAC 2005 will happen and exceed the 2003 version. Dac needs lots and lots of volunteeers. Not those caught up in a kumbaya moment from 2003. But those who are willing roll up thier sleeves in the winter of 2004 and spring of 2005 and pull things together.

As VSAC grows, it's just not feasible to rely on exhibitors to handle events like the Craftsman's Room, the Seminars, 15-minutes of Fame and all the other activities not associated with displaying their wares. Ron and Dan have done incredible stuff. But VSAC has become more family reunion than audio show. And all the family needs to pitch in.

This isn't just me. Doc and I had a couple of hallway converstations on this subject. It's a lot of hard work but it's a lot of fun. Tina pitched in this year on the Charity Grab bag sale, even sorting out Eve Anna's junk into baggies and getting filthy in the process. She hasn't stopped talking about VSAC all week. Only way I get to come in '05 is if Tina gets to come too. We've already told Doc we'll do our part - and most of you can probably guess what that will be.

You want presents under your next VSAC Christmas tree? You're going to have to put them there then, cuz Santa ain't coming down that EIMAC cooling tower. Think about it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - VSAC 2003 Craftsman's Awards and other musings - Phil Sieg 14:51:21 10/10/03 (7)

You can not post to an archived thread.