Home Bottlehead Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

RE: Headphones

My recs: Beyerdynamic DT880 or AKG K701. Both are very detailed and have cavernous soundstages. I have the former. They're normally hard to drive (250ohm impedance and not terribly sensitive) but they are no match for a juiced-up S.E.X. amp. I get a very balanced sound with these, albeit with stock Speco irons and C4S loads. I have not quite gotten around to the MQ upgrade, but I would imagine they'd sound even better. The Beyers have huge cups, are semi-open, and comfy (velour pads). With the S.E.X. amp, the soundstage is so big that I almost can't believe I'm wearing headphones! They do take considerable time to break in, though.

On the flipside, I'd stay away from Grados with this amp, especially if you don't like a closer, "in the head" type of sound. They're not particularly comfy, either. (Just my opinion, of course...). I've had just about all of their cans at one time or another, and have only kept a pair of cheap SR-60's for iPhone use only. They're too tipped up in the mids and like to see a much lower impedance than the 120ohm standard (which is used with the S.E.X.). I personally find them honky, shrill, soundstage-less, and annoying unless plugged into an iPod or other low impedance, solid-state output. Your S.E.X. amp deserves better!

Edits: 10/13/09

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Headphones - Dr. Toobz 20:06:09 10/13/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.