Home Bottlehead Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

RE: Some general questions about setting it up

If you want up to 24/192 cards such as the Juli@ and the EMU 1212M will work well. If you only want to go to 24/96 the EMU 0404-USB can be used as well.

There is also a new tiny little USB Edirol UA-1G which should work as well (optical only) (max 24/96) but I haven't tried this yet.

The length of the cable SHOULD not matter, either optical or coax. You should be able to get away with up to 30 feet or so with either. Given the way the circuit works (the S/PDIF timing is ignored) the cable type and length SHOULD not matter, but unfortunately it probably will. There are things going on with DACs that we don't fully understand that cause things to make a difference that should not.

The big criteria for a soundcard is that it has to be able to sync its digital output to a digital input. Many higher end PCI cards do, very few USB do. There are a number of firewire boxes that can also do this but they tend to be more expensive and that expense doesn't actually give you an advantage here.

John S.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Some general questions about setting it up - John Swenson 12:15:27 10/13/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.