Home Bottlehead Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

RE: Soundstage & Imaging - Why the differences between amps?

From my admittedly limited experience, I've found soundstage to be very dependent upon the line stage and preamp. I learned that from Subwatt and Sector-7G. My old Paramours had a huge soundstage with the right line stages.

Just as a WAG, I have been thinking that the linestage needs to have enough drive to push the whole signal evenly, or what some people call effortlessly. Therefore lots of extra current and a CCS helps, which has been my experience again. A choke should get most of the way there, and some people (IIRC Phil Sieg is one) prefer iron to a CCS.

All that said, one mod I am looking forward to is doubling the 9V battery bank (longer screws and putting the second bank directly under the first) and running the Quickie at about 72V. I haven't looked at the tube curves yet, but more voltage and current, combined with a choke, should have a positive effect on fidelity. But now we're starting to play with real voltage, and somebody has to tell me there is little chance a 9V will blow up in my face.

I would be interested in other people's opinions, too.

Triamp... Take a load off!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Soundstage & Imaging - Why the differences between amps? - artsybrute 05:53:27 10/13/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.